Thank You, Mr. Nobilio!

Thank You, Mr. Nobilio!

Shyler Yost

Well, we’ve reached the end of the 2022-2023 school year! Finals and AP have wrapped up, seniors are preparing to embark on their post-high school journeys, and we’re all awaiting the arrival of a relaxing summer. However, despite the presence of all these exciting feelings in the air, we also have to think of something that’s less exciting- Mr. Nobilio is leaving.

In retrospect, I haven’t been a student at South for that long. However, throughout my three years as a gator, Mr. Nobilio has been kind and accepting towards so many students-including me. I still remember sitting in my room as a freshman in 2020, thinking about the new school year and how learning and the school year itself would work in the midst of a pandemic.
While I had gotten a bit acquainted with remote learning already, there were still many unknowns that hovered over me like a cloud. I found myself asking questions, such as “What if I can’t connect with my teachers through zoom?” or “Will I be able to see my friends at school again?” The question that I considered the most, though, was this: “Will I feel like I belong here at South?”

Fortunately, I didn’t have to worry about not fitting in at a new school for long. One day, while I was working on my remote learning tasks, my doorbell rang. To my surprise, Mr. Nobilio and Ms. Ratliff had stopped by my house to drop off a note for me and to welcome me to the Crystal Lake South community. It felt great to know that my principal and vice principal caredenough to welcome me, even though they didn’t know me personally and I wasn’t actually at school- and I was just one of many freshmen who received visits! After that, I wasn’t so nervous about not being able to connect with my school anymore- even as I continued to learn remotely for the rest of my freshman year. Thanks to Mr. Nobilio’s kindness, I entered my high school career with more certainty and clarity about my place at South. I’m sure that I can speak for many of us when I say that Mr. Nobilio makes all of us feel like we are vital members of the South community whose opinions and goals matter.
Along with this, Mr. Nobilio also created a high school community that has been great with creating fun memories for students, allowing them to just enjoy themselves and forget about school pressures of the day. Whether it was leading the student section in roller coaster-style crowd moves at football games, getting dunked with water at homecoming pep rallies, or twinning with Ms. Ratliff for spirit weeks, Mr. Nobilio made ordinary days at school seem exciting and enjoyable. I know I’m thankful for all of these fun-filled moments like my peers are, and it was great to see the principal engaged in memorable school activities alongside students.
Mr. Nobilio, if you happen to stumble upon this article, we will miss you. You have contributed greatly to the South community by connecting students with positive experiences and memories- ones that we will always remember. While it is sad to see you leave CLS, we wish you the best of luck in your new position and future endeavors. Thank you so much again for the positive impact you have left on the South campus and community- and remember, you will always be a Gator!